2.08.2011

East.

I have returned home from vacation, where I visited the frozen, then thawing New England.

After a 24 hour weather delay (I made the best out of a sunny day in Seattle, believe you me), I headed to CT, where the snow had been piled up by the plows, making a drive seem like a trip through a snow canyon. There was snow at least up to my stomach, and piled much higher than I in some spots. I visited with my grandparents and family, cooked a big Spanish affair, and kept beer outside in the snowdrift.

On Saturday I took the train down to the city of New York, where I stayed at my cousin's place, one block away from Central Park. He decided to go to the Super Bowl, so I had the place left all to myself (which wasn't bad). I explored the city, went insane at Eataly (the Italian foods-only mega store), had a bite at Bar Jamon (I ate there last year) and sat across from some random women that were from the Seattle area. I then just walked. I love walking that city. I walked from 17th and broadway to past Columbus Circle (which is 60th), in a foggy, slightly drizzly winter evening. Moody, melancholic, and yet still buzzing from action. I went out with some friends of my cousin he had put me in touch with, and stayed out on the town till 4am.

Sunday, was a day of riding the train, but mishap style. Things are being renovated/improved, but it was annoying. I got to Chinatown, which was a madhouse due to the New Year's action/parade/overflowing streets/full restaurants. So I left hungry, and went to Brooklyn, where I met a friend from Seattle, ate Polish food, shot some pool, and went to an insane football party where there was an unobstructed view of midtown from Greenpoint- from the couch you could see the Empire State Building and the Chrysler building too...

I had a good time, it was much too short, and not relaxing, but as my mom said, going to big cities is never relaxing. I love cities, so does that mean I am not a relaxed person? Hmmm.....
I'll try to do it next year, but I may actually go later in the year to not have to worry about the snow this time....

1 comment:

Morgan Davie said...

ENVY. That sounds like hella good time.