1.03.2008

Captain Nemo vs. Vampires!

I recently finished reading Jules Vernes' classic "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."  I can't recommend it highly enough, even if you've read it a long time ago, it's such a great adventure/interesting view of the future.  I like the ideas of getting all your power from seas water, and that the south pole is a mountain in an open sea surrounded by miles of icebergs in an impassible wall.  Then I thought it would be a grand idea to watch the movie, made by 
Disney (starring a young Kirk Douglas- in 1954!).

What a crock!

Disney really messed it up!  The movie rushed through many parts, skipped others, and re-arranged the order of others.  The ending is completely different too- an invading army?!? 

WTF?!?

And most importantly, they made Captain Nemo meaner; more villianesque than in the book.  Vernes' Nemo is a melancholy character you're suppose to dislike, but pity I feel as well....

Also, I've been turning up this band that's been playing on KEXP, Vampire Weekend.  They're from Brooklyn, and you can catch some of their songs on their myspace.
They were also KEXP's 22nd best album of the top 90.3 albums of 2007.  I hate Radiohead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dislike everyone's musical 2007 "best of list," cause they're full of drowning white men songs about depressing shit. Stuff like KEXP, the Stranger, all that Seattle twenty something culture stuff makes me feel grey. "Lets make a spectacle of ourselves and try to out do each other with weird expressionism!" And none of it has any real meaning behind it. Is it me, or does that sound bitter? Ah heck, whatever.