7.08.2009

Kimchi Krazy.

I decided I wanted to ferment something, and not for the alcohol (which may strike some of y'all as very odd!). And since it was my farm stand day, I figured that some kimchi was in order. It's Korean sauerkraut basically. With a subtle seafood background, and a big chili-ginger foreground. It's supposed to be really good for you.
I also have decided that I want to blog more about food, ala Dan @ Freshly Ground. That's a good foodie blog, with nice pics....

So some step-by-step notes of the process to end at a yummy-as product cuz:

1st step. Make a cuppa. Duh. (Very traditional!)


Cut up some carrots. Cut thin on bias, stack 'em, and cut into julienne.


Chop up some cabbage. Traditionally it's Napa/Chinese cabbage, but you can use many different veggies. The farmstand gave me a huge cabbage for $1.75 yo!


There's also an onion in this pot. I then salted the veggies, and let them sit for 1.5 hours. The salt removes the liquid in the veggies, wilting it, and getting it ready for the "process."


While that's happening, I made the liquid. Chop up a ton of ginger, garlic and put it in the blender with chili sauce (or dried hot chili powder traditionally) and shrimpy-shrimp paste. The latter is as smelly as it is tasty. But it's in food for a background note that people don't ever know about. It's a silent hero.


The now-brined veggies; that liquid is seawater salty. Drain, and rinse really well. Multiple times even. Squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible.


Then mix the sauce in with the rinsed veg. Place it in a jar, with a bit of liquid over the top, and some space between the top and lid. It should be packed rather tightly- I pushed down after each layer.


The jar is full. I'll leave it out for 2 days, then it'll go in the fridge. I will eat it with rice and a barely cooked egg for breakfast. Or with braised pork belly. Or with bulgogi meat in corn tortillas (Korean tacos dude!). And mostly with one hand in the cookie jar.


Speaking of jars, this is an old one. Old Peanut Butter. Or now, Sunny Jim Quality Kimchi!

3 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

Man, you make Kimchi sound (and look) good. I didn't think that was possible.

Dustin said...

That's funny! I just sat down at my desk to a heaping bowl (more than a normal person's GI can handle) of home-made daikon kimchee. It's awsome, now that it's been sitting for 2 months. I'll keep you up to date as to my stomach's condition.

Unknown said...

I love kimchi and your post has me wondering if I can make it myself... I especially love it will all the other little side dishes you get when you go eat korean, eg sesame fried bean sprouts.