2.07.2008

Catching Up

So it's been a little while since I posted, but it's been a lot going on for me, so here it is:
I went to Kentucky, with my girlfriend to see her family (I met her dad!). It was my 1st time to the south, even though many people consider Louisville (properly pronounced "Lew-vull")
to be elsewhere, like the Ohio River valley....but I noticed a stereotypical southern experience. The accent, the large & noticeable Baptist presence, the twisters, the drinkin', the rebellin' and such....
We had fun. We ate some damn good BBQ (The elusive Owensborough black sauce on chopped mutton or pork). We drank fine bourbon. We shopped at Wal-Mart. We played nails, and had the cops called on us.
I got a shirt that says, "gettin' lucky in Kentucky." It's green, and I'm wearing it right now.

It appears my work is in Seattle now. I will become the Sous Chef in Seattle. We still need to settle on salary, a big issue I know, but I think it will be good. It's a better bus ride to there, that's for sure. And it will be more flexible in the hours.....I'll keep ya posted.

On Monday, Empire Ice Cream awakened from our winter hibernation to represent at the 3rd Annual Seattle Farmer-Chef Collaborative. It was basically us networking with local producers and chefs, eating and drinking fine things, talking with the guy who was single-handedly responsible for bringing Belgian beer to the USA in the late 70's, and stealing 2/3rds of a suckling pig that had been poorly butchered.
One of the afternoon demos was "how to break down a whole pig." The chef who did it, did a shoddy job (not that I'd do much better, but she's giving CLASS), and when the end of the day came, I heard one of the organizers say to someone, "that pig is still upstairs, and the janitors don't know what to do with it." I sprinted up the stairs to get a garbage bag, and stuffed 2 fresh hams (the rear legs) and the 2 ribs (with loins attached) into said bag.

We ate a good meal that night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You constantly amaze me and impress me. Congrats on the new gig and the pig story is something to hand down to future generations.

Well done, Aaron.

--paul