1.15.2007

Milford Onwards

Milford Sound was incredible. There are many superlatives one can use to describe it, but unless you've seen it for yourself, you don't know. It was awesome!
The boat trip (which was the 1st super-tourist thing we've done so far) was 1.5 hours of viewing massive rock faces and waterfalls. The clouds burned off, and it became sunny and mildly warm. Perfect weather. We then drove south to Te Anau, got wild venison pies, and saw a takahē, one of those birds they thought were extinct. Morgan was pleased.



We then kept driving, seeing nice, scenic country, caves and threw an impromptu dance party when my car rolled over to 200,000 Km on the dial.
We found a remote lake at the end of a 32km dirt road that turned out to the deepest lake in NZ. Then we camped near by the lake, eating stirfry and being entertained by some camping family's kids' wacky stories by the fire.
We're in Invercargill now, and I only have a few more days left with Morgue. It'll be wierd without another person in the car, so I'm planning on finding someone (hopefully) in Dunedin while I'm there for Robbert Burns night, celebrating poetry like this:

Rattlin', Roarin' Willie

As I cam by Crochallan,
I cannilie keekit ben;
Rattlin', roarin' Willie
Was sittin at yon boord-en';
Sittin at yon boord-en,
And amang gude companie;
Rattlin', roarin' Willie,
You're welcome hame to me!

I have no idea what that means. I just plan to drink scotch and eat haggis.....

No comments: