2.07.2009

When Eels Attack!

Well I'm back from the river, as most all y'all know. It was a wonderful trip with Malcom. Highlights included: my being scared to the point of violent swearing by some wild, shaggy sheep at dusk. Eating a ridiculous amount of jam when the jam jar exploded, and I had to clean it up (by eating it!). Being formally welcomed on the Marae (Maori house) at Tieke, and hanging out with the couple that are caretakers there (I watched the guy Brent chasing possums after dark with his big stick with much amusement!). Jumping off insane cliffs into water where we couldn't see the bottom (therefore, logically being deep enough!), and then finding out that there are crazy huge eels living in the river that will bite ya! The scenery overall was a highlight too.
If you haven't seen the pics yet, they're here on facebook.
Since I've been back, I've caught up on my correspondence (naught from immigration!) and got a word from a Belgian I met while traveling in Spain my 1st time there.  We keep in touch, and he's a chef as well.  He just got a new job for a Belgian company that does molecular gastronomy stuff, specifically, food pairing.  The concept is that when foods are broken down into their molecules, they will reveal best what goes with what, due to chemical structures.  Find out all you desire here!
And finally, I went to a great show last night, the fringe festival is now on in the city, and so there's lots of crazy music/performance stuff to see, like the aftermath of the Rugby Sevens tournament on Courtnay Place at 2:30 in the morning!

No comments: