3.20.2009

Waikaremoana-madness!

I got back from Lake Waikaremoana late last night.  If you were in the group of people who received one of my return-to-modern-civilization-I-am-manic-there's-no-sandflies emails, then I'm sorry if it seemed like I was on crack.

It was just a cup of tea.

This walk was the last one of the Great Walks for me to do on the North Island- I have 8 more to go I think.  I'm looking forward to the day I get to do the Stewart Island one....it's a new goal of mine- to complete them all.

After a sleepless-due-to-snorers night, I headed up to the remote lake.  Basically, the first day is uphill for 4 hours.  You go up over 500 meters above the lake.  The views when it cleared were amazing, as you can see in the photos linked below.

The second day was my longest- I walked for about 6.5 hours with a lunch break of 30 minutes.  It got to the point that each corner I expected to see the hut, then would see nothing, or be harshly teased by the DOC official's hut....

The 3rd and 4th days were easy, relaxed and sunny.  I cannot complain too much.

And for your record: The water was VERY cold.



The big Alligator-Jamberoo is tonight- gotta go cut me hairs!

1 comment:

d3vo said...

Nice to hear you are doing the great walks!

Sandflies are a common problem with lots of nice spots in NZ, soz!