5.28.2007

There's Zombie Fish in the water!

I went camping up in the Cascades, out past Index and Goldbar on Hwy 2 this weekend. I went with some friends, and we got a very late start on Friday night, and the fact there was traffic in the middle of nowhere (why?) didn't help.
We hit the trail at about 9pm, and it was a 3 mile walk. I'm glad it was an easy one, with 500 feet gain.

We arrived at this lake in darkness, with only one other campsite (which turned out to be some drunk yelling at his kids for a whole day. He sucked to say the least.) filled and we got set and ate dinner over the fire. The next day it was alright weather wise, and we just lounged about, and checked out the lake area. It was just off the mountains, and was (when filtered) the best damn drinking water earth could provide perhaps.

Rain came after our big bon-fire bonanza complete with hotdogs, smores, bourbon and ghost stories (zombie fish). Sunday was damp, and I mostly stayed close to the fire after going swimming (ok, it was really a jump in, a yelp of "holy shit!", and a race to the shore and fire.) and doing the requisite camp work, like getting wood, which was scarce due to the rain. Sunday was curry night, and drama filled with some yahoos getting drunk and firing their guns. I will add that (some) are in the military, but that doesn't make it any better. But I did come away with 2 genuine MRE's, complete with 3600 calories in a meal. And tons of sodium. It's what you need for combat I suppose. Or you could live for 3 days off one.

And the hike back in/stuck in traffic/eating at Zeke's burger shack/hey the weather is really nice in the city!

I can't see myself going to the wingoff. I think I'll just eat those wings with CP......

No comments: