9.24.2009

Market Day.

I went to the Lake City farmers market for (hopefully not, but maybe) shebang of summer produce. I got many exciting things, which will encompass multiple cooking and preserving techniques. I have a busy next two days ahead of me, but it'll be fun. I need to do this more often!
My haul:

Fresh Cranberry beans. They're basically pinto beans. Buy and eat as many fresh shell beans as you can any time you come across them! They cook up so creamy and amazing. These are going with something later down the line....

Pickling Cukes. I'm going to make fermented pickles with them. A little experiment....I've never done this before, so it'll be interesting.

Corn. Sweet, sweet corn. I will be eating that on Saturday afternoon. As in sweet corn chow-chow. I think.

Spicy salad mix with nasturtiums. And basil to go with the tomatoes.

Lamb Necks. A little snack. I'll braise them in tomato sauce and eat them with the corn chow-chow.

Sweet peppers. This pic really doesn't do justice to the amount I got, nor their beauty. Pictured: Big yellow- banana, green/red ones- Jimmy Nardello's sweet Italian frying pepper, the little yellow guys are a yellow cayenne pepper (pretty hot!) But mostly sweet ones with a mild-ish heat level. The little yellow bastards are going into the hot mustard pickles.

'Maters. Seconds from Billy's Organics. The best damn tomatoes ever. Period.



That my friends is what's known as an Armenian cucumber. It's over 2 feet long, and has a nice, sweet flavor. That's what's going to be the base of my spicy mustard pickles!


Wow. Maybe if you're lucky I'll take some pictures, or if you're really lucky, you'll get to eat some of these late summer wonders. It's a special time for me, foodwise. I only have a couple more weeks of this! And then it's....months of rutabagas! shock! horror!

No comments: