4.22.2007

Roller Derby Chicks Are Hardcore.

Last night I went to see the fury of the Rat City Rollergirls. The roller derby is a time-honored American "D" sport* that pits girls on roller skates against each other in elbow-throwing-filled-flat-track-mayhem. There was a team from San Fransisco that came up to Seattle, and shockingly pulled off an upset in front of a drunk and rawkus Seattle crowd.
The best fight involved the 2 girls being seperated, and still kicking their skates at each other.

It was AWESOME.

And then, it was time to go to West Seattle for a house party. It's waaaaay over thar. Why does anyone kid themselves about West Seattle being close to Seattle. I think it's the bridge mentality- if you have to cross a bridge, it's just too far. It was a good one, and I may have done the haka, this time respectfully. Or more so than I did in the past without the knowledge I have now.
It really impresses the girls....


* A "D" sport was a term coined by me to describe dodgeball. If baseball, basketball and American football are "A" sports in this country, and say, golf and soccer are "B" spots, and then "C" sports are all the Olympic events. "D's" are all the ones you played as a kid, like kickball, or possibly extreme croquet.

1 comment:

Morgan Davie said...

Rollergirl mayhem! I have the serious envy.