11.21.2009

Bumsville Man.

I want to tell you about my night on Thursday.

First of all, I went to see my friend Kenji's band play (for the 1st time, which was a point of contention between him and I, but that's another story...), who are called Olympus. I would describe them as a cross between Bob Dylan, Oasis, and Yes. Yes, that's right. (I have to say I am more than amused by Yes, the band, btw....)

After the show, I went to get some late-nite dining in Chinatown with my friend, as my actions earlier in the evening cancelled the planned dinner-before-the-show, and an exercise.
Jade Garden: Honey walnut prawns (not my choice), Hot 'n sour soup (my choice), and Peking duck (unanimous choice).

So after the feed, we decided Karaoke was in order, at the place where you sing in the booths. There you can drink. But we needed beer, so we went to the one place open in Chinatown- the bum gas station. It's the only one I know that after dark, all transactions are done through glass. There's a bum who thinks he knows me, and wants my change, but also an argument going on between some dudes in a car, where there's a guy in the back seat won't get out, and that's distracting the worker in the aquarium, who doesn't speak English well, who can't understand what I want, so I'm grateful for the 6 pack of Coors Light he gives me, and then I add on two singles as an afterthought, the fight is still going on, and now the transaction is taking waaaaaay too long, and another bum comes along to try to get my change, and then the car drives off, and now the two drunk bums start bickering over who deserved what, and now I'm leaving and being gang pressed for a beer, and it's desperate, and in a moment of either generosity or being devious- I haven't decided, I give the bums a single beer and tell them to share.

They are like seagulls fighting over the can of beer. Me and my friend, who's scared/concerned, says we gotta get outta here.

Entering the karaoke place, they have just closed apparently. It's 3 minutes after midnight, and they close at 12, but people can sing until 2. I ask "Seriously?" The dude replies, "well it's our policy..."
I reply, "well it's my policy to sing karaoke tonight!" That doesn't go over very well....
And all because of the dang gas station menagerie......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Should have had dinner with me.