11.26.2006

Best. Thanksgiving. EVER!

Sunday was great. Incredible. It was better than I imagined it to be. All the planning and thought and boasts came together for a time that will be remembered by all forever.
My morning started early (and tired, as I was out late with the Swedish girls drinking and hearing GREAT music at the Matterhorn) and started cooking straight away. Pies had to be made, and stuffing had to be made too. Also, things had to be delivered to the party house. So I was driving around crazy-like, stressing as I usually do un-necesarally. I went to work to get the birds, picked up the Swedish (birds) and went to the house to start.
Firstly, I had planned "paper crafts" as an activity, which was embraced by all. Soon, we were pilgrims, but mostly indians. Some of the creativity and effort was great indeed. Football was (taped) on TV. And people were quickly making friends and having conversations.
Then we ate.
We had the perfect, I repeat, perfect amount of food. We had everything we could ever require from this meal. And there were 31 of us on a long banquet style table.
We placed all the different things in bowls, on plates, or even in jars on the table for people to help themselves. I ate the most, and was the only one to undo a button on their pants.
I had a speech that told the story of Thanksgiving in a slightly satirical way. It shed light for the people whom more or less had no idea what the holiday is about. And then, for slightly unknown reasons, Morgan, my flatmate and I sang a rousing rendition of "take me out to the ballgame."
And then we ate more.
And said what we were thankful for. I was thankful for the fact that even though I was away from everyone I've ever spent the holiday with, I still had this event happening with people I've come to care about. And reading what I just wrote doesn't begin to explain how happy I was. I don't know if anybody noticed, but I was very close to becoming "emotional." Seriously. I was happiest.
Then we digested, eventually had dessert and pumpkin pie that I made not following a recipe and it came out pretty good considering I had to roast my own pumpkin, which is a stupid thing to do normally. Then it was deemed a good idea to go outside, as it wasn't too bad outside, and some people ran around and wrestled. Then Leon (King of France) Verrall was awarded the first bi-montly Most Valuable Bogan Award.
Then the day concluded with people resting, talking or playing pictionary.
Or so I thought.
Johnny Cash was put on, and I showed them suckers how to line dance, and we had a ho-down. After everyone was done with that, it was well and truly over. We started at 1:30 and went to 8:00-ish. It was a great run, and I know everyone had a good time.
Thank you very much. I will post pics online as soon as I get them. Lots were taken.
It felt right, and again it was perfect.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you successfully spread our Thanksgiving tradition. Congrats!

The Parker-Reichlin family will host it in Oly next year. Bigger than 6 people, smaller than 31.

Homeperm said...

i was thankful for thanksgiving turkey. it was awesome.

Anonymous said...

"So root, root, root for the home team..."

In New Zealand, "root" is a verb meaning "to engage in sexual congress with".

Examples:
"Hey Swedish girl, wanna root?"
"Yeah, I rooted her halfway to Sweden!"
"It would be a damn shame if no-one got a root from those Swedish girls."
etc.

-mrg

Anonymous said...

Oh, and - Thanksgiving was frickin' awesome.

For that I am truly thankful.

- morgue

Anonymous said...

Yo man, I had a blast. Thanks for having the idea, and for following through with it. And for bringing hot Swedish chicks. Especially for that.