7.05.2007

DC Police State vs War Zone

Man, it has been a crazy trip thus far. I woke early to get coffee/wifi and re-connect with many out there, and to do what work I can remotely.

So here's my tale:
Once upon a time, there was an Alligator who left Seattle to travel to the sacred homelands of his his mother. The fertile, gently rolling hills of Conneticut beckoned to him, but his flight was cancelled, and he got to spend Player's Holiday (Thursday night) in Chicago. He was amazed by the 2nd Windiest City, with it's past wealth and glory hanging out at the edge of the Great Lake. He ate at Rick Bayliss' Fronterra Grill, an epicurean's delight. Traditioanl Mexican food was consumed-chili purees of perfection!

It annoys the hell out of me to write that way.....so I'm stopping that. Ok. Does anybody know that they don't make postcards of Cleveland? They don't. I found out when we had to be re-routed through there to get to Hartford.

The family was nice to see, some of whom (my cousins) were adults now, not little whiny kids. Very cool guys.
The wedding of my cousin was a dance-off supreme between me and my little sister. She thought she won, because she's so much cuter than I am. HA! That's what she thinks.....

Sunday was a nice brunch/bbq at my aunt and uncle's house in the country, and I made a nice dinner.
Then on Monday morning, Iris, Mark and I drove down to DC, through New York, New Jersey (very nice- you get to drive 85mph to keep in the flow) and such-a-short-distance-you-could-probably-measure-it-in-feet time in Delaware, then Maryland, and the Federal District of Columbia (whose license plates read "Taxation Without Representation").
DC is actually nicer than I thought it'd be. The Mall is very nice and cool at night- all the monuments are lit up, and whatnot.

Tueday I went to the Capitol, and saw probably 20% of the building. They don't let you into the chambers unless you have a ticket from your representative or senator...and I also saw the Nat'l Greenhouse and Native American Museum.
And then started drinking at 4 at dime wing night. Can anyone tell me how gross it is to know you were part of a $3 wing-fury? And half a burger.

4th of July was crazy. I cooked ribs and collard greens (Sorry Damon- yours were great, but mine were perfect.) We went to a BBQ, drank Canadian and Mexican beers, ate, bullshited, lit off fire crackers and bottle rockets, watched the big display from the rooftop of a million dollar condo, saw some guys get their fireworks taken away by the DC PD (DC is a Police State- I said so on the news-it's a long story), watched more crazy people blow up shit. It was this insane war zone in DC last night. I've never seen so much explosions in a city before. And people are just running around-the little pyros!

Whew. If you made it, good for you. This is binge-blogging fer sure.
3 more days in DC, filled with many museums and monuments.
Have fun kids.

No comments: