2.01.2010

Refrain.

Ah. A day off.

I needed it. I can check off things on my list, reconnect with people, think about the Dart's issues to be fixed, run errands, etc, etc. It was a long week, where a lot happened. I thought a lot about who I am as a chef, why I'm doing what I'm doing, and my future. I was severely tested, and had not been under as much stress and fatigue as was last week in a long time; I often wondered how/why I had gotten myself into the opening project.

But it's the food. The gorgeous ingredients are uncompromisingly sourced. And that is incredible. I have said it before: there will be other restaurant with perhaps a finer end product, honed and presented with more aptitude than I can do, but it is not possible to start with a better foundation of products. And so one doesn't need to do much.....

I am also learning to become a better line cook; I am rusty somewhat. My memory has never been good for things like memorizing a ton of orders at once- my mind doesn't work like that. And then there's the expediting of orders: I am too nice. I need to form a persona that is outrageous and uncompromising, like if the Macho Man was a drill sergeant. I say extraneous things like "please" according to my boss....I am the yang to his yin in this regard during service.

Anyways, I don't need to extoll these facts here, I have done it waaaaay too many times in my head. It's sorted. For now.

The Wedgewood Broiler awaits tonight with my peoples!
(This post is dedicated to Ryan)

1 comment:

Morgan Davie said...

Swapping "please" for "oooooh yeaaaaah" may not help with the expediting.

It is obvious from this post that this position is giving you an incredible experience. Surf that wave, man. Awesome to see.