5.26.2009

FoodBlog.

I am embarking on a new project for the summer!

It will be an attempt at creating a noticeable food blog.  But the thing is that there's already a whole bunch of food blogs out there.  I have even found the list!  I personally enjoyed "Adventures of a Fatass."  Even my friend Dan has one (well, it's pretty much one; there is some non-food stuff going on....) that details his cooking exploits, as well as having laments that we never got to hook up for an epic cooking night (one day!)....

So here's where mine is different.  It's going to combine two oft-unrelated ideas: food writing and creative writing.

Really.

Imagine the food dorks that like creative fiction?  The dude who likes to write insane menus (me)!  A review of the first restaurant in space?  Creative Writing+Food=This.

As I have mentioned to a couple people, the penultimate destination this idea would travel to is something like The New Yorker Magazine's food issue.  Now that has a lot of non-fiction, if not mostly, and that will be allowed at some point (maybe early on even) because the point will be to have crazy stuff for the pro foodie, crazy stuff for the writers, and people that think they are in the know can think they are in the know.  But they really aren't.

Now all I need is a fine name.  Hmmm....

1 comment:

Dustin said...

I was toying with this a few years ago, only I was thinking of working off the foundation of Romance novels, gearing the works toward fat 40ish women who loved Under the Tuscan Sun and Chocolat. They would be short novels about exotic cuisine cooked in exotic places either by a hot chef that looks like Fabio, or by an empowered, beautiful woman. There would have to be some plot, but, like in a romance novel, whenever the action starts happening, you devote all the attention to the sensual parts, giving longwinded descriptions and using silly adjectives. I just decided that I didn't want to be the one to write that shit, but I think that there could be a market for it, regardless.