10.16.2006

Back From Down South

I had a great weekend until my ferry ride home across the Cook Strait. In the words of our friend, John Ulmer, "The Cook Straight is one of the most miserable stretches of water in the world." It is THE most miserable as far as I'm concerned.
The party at the Swede's house was crazy, with lots of drunks, a great haka, and some obscene Swedish drinking songs (once translated to me). Sunday was a laid back day, as I wasn't really in the correct state to hike 10 miles, so the girls and I drove to Rabbit Island, and hung out. Then I made them Swedish meatballs for dinner, and we watched the 40-Year-Old Virgin. They enjoyed greatly, as did I.

Monday was a perfect day for a hike, that took me much less time than advertised, because I'm a bad-ass when walking. I keep up a furious pace indeed. The weather was great, and the views highly memorable. I ate my lunch on the sand (which was nicer than Fiji's, but the water was ice) and got eaten by the sandflies. I was told they sucked, but wasn't told what they do. For those not in the know, they are a fly that bites you like a mosquito, but there's a tad more blood involved. Then you itch.

I came back this morning, and like I said, the water sucked; high seas. I'm back in Wellington now, and start my new job tomorrow at 2pm.
I'll wish myself luck for you!

No comments: