10.31.2006

Halloween Fright-Fest

Halloween doesn't exist here in NZ. Definitely not like I'm used to, seeing masses of kids seeking weeks of sugar-fueled hyper activity. Nothing like dressing up in death-bringing monster and being rewarded with a Baby Ruth (Funsize though. And don't get me started on THAT oxymoron!) and tootsie rolls. It's a little depressing that Morgan reminded me that it was, indeed, All Hallow's Eve, and then I realized I hadn't put much thought into the whole dressing up thing. Which I should have done, just to show the Kiwis how much of a bad-ass I really am.
I did have "festivities" to attend, in the form of a fright movie fest. The guy who's house we were at, Pearce, has what can only be described as "a mind-boggling" amount of choices in the horror genre, from your mainstream picks, such as "Friday the 13th" to some ones that most normal people wouldn't ever dream of being filmed. Like cannibal-horror. As far as I could tell, the point of flicks like that is just to gross people out.

We watched 2 movies, the first being "Bubba Ho-Tep," a movie that was about Elvis (who's ALIVE in an East Texas rest home) fighting a mummy. It's billed as "the King vs the King of the Undead!" Funny stuff, especially the scene were Elvis explains how he switched places with an Elvis impersonator (who died on the toilet) and the real Elvis Aaron continued on, living the life of the impersonator. And then blowed up his trailer. It's absurd, and great, and low budget. I recommend seeing it, just because of the ridiculousness.



And then we got down to business. And watched easily the most graphically violent (but in a really unreal and cheesy way) flick I've ever witnessed, "Demons". The only words I can use to describe the film are: awesome, ridiculous, fuck!
Created by Italians, filmed in Germany, and in English, this 80's movie had some stuff I closed my eyes for, but the best scene is where the 2 heroes are riding around a movie theater on a dirt bike with a samurai sword chopping down Zombies. Whilst The Scorpions are blasting. Yes, you read that correct, the movie had a metal (and some hiphop) soundtrack. And if that didn't fucking get you, as soon as that's over (discontinue reading if you want to watch the movie) a helicopter falls through the room, saving them.
And that's not even the ending, which is really suprising!



So happy Halloween!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Bubba-Hotep within the last 3 months! Seriously, a friend in the UK said "This is really bad, you have to watch it, it has Bruce Campbell".

Anonymous said...

Bubba Ho-tep is not bad! Is is the awesome!

Like Aaron, I watched 'Demons' for the first time (I'd seen some of it before but not the ending).

The ending was insane. As the dude was samurai-swording hordes of demon-zombies from his motorcycle with the girl clutching on to his manly frame, roaring round and round the cinema, Chris said: "Now you know why we watch shit horror movies."

And as always, Chris was right.