10.06.2006

Rugby. The Sport of Choice in NZ

Last night was my first real exposure ever to the game they hold in the highest respects in NZ. Rugby. And to make it more complicated, there's rugby union and rugby league. For all purposes, union is the game that everyone in the US will know as rugby, and it's the popular one here- think All Blacks (because they're so dominant).
Anyways, it was a match on TV happening down the tracks about 15 minutes, in the Air NZ Cup, which as I can figure is the big trophy to be won. See how much I get this game?
Wellington was hosting Canterbury (of Christchurch, and they're pretty much the Yankees in terms of historical dominance) and was expected to lose. The Lions of Welly were up to the challenge and simply put it to the....I didn't catch the mascot of Canterbury. They did were red and black uniforms though. It was a "barnstormer" as my friend's dad put it. Huge upset, the town goes crazy. Kind of. It was awfully cold out last night, so the prospect of reveling into the wee hours lacked warming charm.
But as far as the game goes, I figured out what the purpose was, but I am far from seeing the subtleties that get people excited. The possibility that there aren't any, and that really fans just love seeing 250 lb beasts run into each other is the point is highly probable. Actually, that's the point. There is no blocking allowed in the game (which I think would make for a MUCH better game) and so men are forced to run through each other or pass laterally. I will give it more chances ultimately though, as it's such a part of the culture. And not sporting culture I think, as there really isn't something like that even comparable to the US, but just the culture in general. This is really an outpost in the world that was populated by only the heartiest (and reclusive?) souls.
But what scares me the most is that one of the best players of recent times, and former All-Blacks captain looks like "Predator." I wouldn't want to make him angry and be alone with him.....he'd rip my head off or something. In fact he probably wears a suit at home that can make himself invisible and runs around in trees!


No comments: