10.10.2006

I've gotten work. Or been offered it anyways.

Today I was offered my second job in as many days. Last night I worked a shift at Shed 5, a top NZ fish house. They're ultra busy & on the waterfront. The food isn't fine dining, but it's very solid and definately respectable. It was listed as one of NZ top 25 restaurants by the top food rag here. The other place is called The Skyline, and they have a restaurant there that they're trying to create a seperate identity from the common perception of the Skyline being a functions center. It would be my first Sous Chef Position as well.
I thought I was going to have a tough choice, but after meeting the Exec Chef of Shed 5 today after my trail at The Skyline, I realized I could not work for a guy who has, shall we say, "little-man syndrome." He was a stand-offish prick in my opinion, and had a hard time respecting the idea that it was important for me to know the background of my potential boss. He also couldn't see why I'd want a night to "mull my options." He's not used to anybody turning him down when they're offererd a job.

As my Grandma would probably say, "It's his loss, Aaron."

So tomorrow morning I'm going to call the Skyline's chef, and accept. It'll be best for me because not only will I make more money, but the chef there realizes that I want/need to have a life outside work, and that I'm here to see the nation as well as work. Actually, I'm here to see the country while I work is how I look at it. My schedule will be pretty regular, with Sun night off through Wed afternoon. I can get other days off/switch with the chef, and he can do the same with me.
And besides, it will be, like I said, my 1st Sous position. That is pretty cool. I feel I'm ready for the step-up....and most importantly, it'll be more of my food going out-having a connection with what I'm cooking is highly important to me.
So anyways, I've gotten that part of my life taken care of. Now I need to find a place in town to live, and that shouldn't be too hard.

3 comments:

fish said...

Congrats on the job! That was really fast :)

2treesandahorse said...

Dude good on ya. can we come and sample to goods. And Whats wrong with the Hutt?

strong light said...

YAY. Now the only thing missing is a hot woman to cook for. You know, since you're new here and all, I'm willing to help you out and step-in for a bit.