10.25.2006

Music

I have downloaded the newest Roots album. I like it. It's fine. But it's very similar to the last couple efforts by the hip hop group. Their first 2 albums were somewhere in between "Legendary" and "Classic" in the genre, in many people's opinions. They were innovative, spoke about issues and life, while the majority of rap has always been the usual "bitches, money, power" kind of thing. (I know the argument that money/sex/power are major issues in a lot of lives....)
But this album, like I mentioned, is the "Roots sound." The music style which made them popular & stay in the scene. Although innovaters, they've made a living ultimately re-working their thing.
So I ask you: Is it better to keep on keeping on, so to say, with what got you there (read the Stones) or do you change up your style with the option of failure ("Wierd" Al Yankovich)?
That's tough for a popular musician, or really for anyone to change, so does that factor come into play?

I'm just musing out loud.
A true American Genius

No comments: