6.30.2009

Beach Time.

So I have returned to the required energy levels of a semi-pro blogger!

My trip out the the ocean, was a solo venture; no one could/wanted to go for that many days or perhaps no one wanted to DEAL with me for that many days....

I went out to a place called Strawberry Point, on the Southern Wilderness Coast part of Olympic Nat'l Park. A 5 mile hike in, ait's about half beach walking, and the other half is going over headlands. The walk in was great, as was exploring the low tides after I had set up camp. The aquatic life in the tide pools was incredible- the tides were very low.

Saturday, a misty coastal drizzle came in, and I was lucky to find a sheet of plastic to build a shelter. It wasn't a crazy downpour, more than just making things wet to the touch. But I did fine. I was glad I had my rain pants.

Sunday, I went on a day hike to these waterfalls in the woods where I had lunch and read my book Cal gave me to read when I was still in New Zealand. I've been saving it for a long trip, and here was the perfect venture! The wind came up fiercely on the walk back- it was a proper Welly Wind too. But by evening, it had died, and the sunset was incredible. I sat on the beach, leaning on driftwood, drinking Fighting Cock neat and thinking that this is what life is about. It's not so much about the whole working thing in the city! That's rubbish (I just got finished watching Top Gear, so that word is in my mind)!

On Monday I awoke to fine weather, ate a leisurely breakfast, which was the same as my other meals really, dehydrated lentil soup (I won't enjoy some anytime soon). And packed, then walked back to the car, and a 4 hour drive home. With a fried chicken lunch break on the way.