4.26.2009

I had a virtual "black box" (like "Iron Chef"- get ingredients randomly, and come up with some food) cooking test today as part of an interview for a job down in Oregon wine country.  It's the sous chef job at a small, boutique hotel, and because I am so far away, we did it like this:
I got a list of ingredients from the chef.  It was like a list of things we would buy at a farmers market right now.  
The list:
Morels
Ramps
Spring onions
Fresh ricotta
Butter
Hen Eggs
Wild salmon
Stinging nettles
Stinky Black truffles
Baby turnips
Buffalo Tri tip
Washington Syrah
Leeks
Peasant bread
Smoked Bacon
Persimmon Vinegar


My menu:

The chef liked it, so I am going to chat with him later this week in Oregon. 
Concern: I have never really lived in a small town, so I am unsure of if I could do it, and not go crazy!

3 comments:

d3vo said...

Yummy sounding menu. I am a sucker for warm eggy things.

The persimmon vinegar sounds odd, is it sweet at all? Can you describe it?

Wanisan said...

I actually had never used it before; it was the one ingredient that I got that I had no idea what it was.
So with a quick wiki check, I found out that it is a Korean ingredient, and that it would be a sweet fruity vinegar. A logical use would be as a major component in a bbq sauce
So I reckon if you are interested Damno, you could find it at 2 stores I know of in Welly.

Unknown said...

If this were Facebook, I'd just "like."