4.01.2009

Roundup.

Currently, it is snowing in Olympia. It's not sticking, but it is snowing, so technically, that is a crime. I am still rejecting this cold weather, with not only my nose becoming congested, but mostly because I didn't get any "breaking in" period. One doesn't get to play baseball with a new mitt- it has to be broken in. I am like a baseball glove: leathery and tanned.

My job search has been all about my contacts; who I know and who I've done business with. The market is more depressed than I thought it'd be, and that all the positions I'd love to have are currently filled with people who are too smart to leave them. I do not blame them. When I went to my old culinary school to chat with career services, the woman said it was the worst market she's ever seen. For somebody with my resume, the only places that would really pay me what I'm worth that have positions that are available are corporate gigs- the big chain restaurants and hotels. That is not me. Not at all.

I do have one lead- it's pretty funny actually. I've got an interview Friday for the chef at a fraternity at UW. The food would be simple, but it'd give me an opportunity to be my own boss, and even develop recipes. As my friend Mike told me, "it's better to be employed than not employed." Truth.
And then there is this summer, I have a big opportunity selling organic cherries in Portland. My friend Meghan did this last summer, and made pretty good money for little work. If I'm selling hard-out (100%) then I could make some coin, as it'd be direct from the orchards to grocers.
And then there is the final piece of the puzzle: Working at the cabin in Eastern Washington. My dad told me if I wanted to live up there and work, I could do that, and it sounds like I could earn enough to not starve. Actually, he'd love it, because there's a lot that needs to be done by different companies, and there's never anyone there to oversee projects.

I have already thought out this timeline as being pretty good- by the time this circuit could be done, my process for returning to NZ could be (mostly) complete. What about that y'all?

1 comment:

Morgan Davie said...

100% hard-out cherry-selling Tokelauan. I can see it.